[Ovmsdev] OVMS Poller module/singleton

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Tue Apr 30 14:51:15 HKT 2024

Michael,

(taking this back to the list, as other developers may have helpful
ideas or suggestions)

from a first check, your new patch (PR #1008) won't help for vehicles
that don't use the poller, like the generic DBC vehicle or the Fiat 500
(plus possibly non-public third party vehicles). As the poller is
normally compiled in, these would need a run time switch to re-enable
the vehicle task, or more suitably default into that configuration and
switch to the poller task only when the poller gets initialized.

How about moving the task back into the vehicle class, but keeping your
task message extensions while doing so, and adding a way for the poller
to hook into the task? The dedicated vehicle task is an essential part
of the vehicle framework, but I do remember some occasions where a
general way to pass custom messages to the vehicle task would have been
helpful to use the task for more than CAN processing.

If the poller shall become avaible as a separate service that can be
used without any vehicle instance (currently not a defined use case),
the construct of a CAN processor task that can be extended for custom
messages (or a message processor task that can subscribe to CAN frames)
could be factored out into a dedicated class or template. The poller
could then create his own instance of that class, if it cannot hook into
an existing one.

Btw, in case you're not aware of this, FreeRTOS also provides queue sets
(https://www.freertos.org/RTOS-queue-sets.html). We haven't used them in
the OVMS yet, but they could be useful, especially if message unions
become large or tasks shall be able to dynamically subscribe to
different message sources.