[Ovmsdev] Using ovms to reboot my firewall

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Wed Apr 10 04:33:27 HKT 2024

I recently set up my "dev" ovms module to give me a method to power
cycle my home firewall and I thought I would share with the list.

Originally I was using a pfsense SG-1100. This particular version uses a
problematic emmc flash memory for the system filesystem. These are not
very robust.

After years of flawless operation I started having trouble with lockups.
This made me search for an out-of-band method to power cycle it.
Remembering that I had some of the prototype ovms pcb's Mark made (and
some DB26 connectors) I decided to use a solid state relay to interrupt
the power to the firewall (via the ovms cellular network connection).

By this point I had replaced the SG-1100 with a SG-2100 that I got from
a buddy (with a nice M.2 slot replacing the emmc). It has a locking
power connector and I was able to find compatible switchcraft inline
parts. Using a type B solid state relay (normally closed) power is not
interrupted when the ovms module is rebooted. Here's the script:

     vfs cat /sd/scripts/pfsense-cycle
     egpio output 9 0
     sleep 5
     egpio output 9 1