[Ovmsdev] Review request

Ludovic LANGE ll-ovmsdev at lange.nom.fr
Thu May 18 06:05:35 HKT 2023

Hi List,

If possible, I'd like a peer-review / discussion of the following PRs:

  * ESP-IDF v4+: we do not have uxMutexesHeld any more #901
    <https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/pull/901>

>     In ESP-IDF 3.3.x builds of OVMS, we're using a fork of ESP-IDF. In
>     this fork, FreeRTOS has been patched with
>     openvehicles/esp-idf at 95e43fc
>     <https://github.com/openvehicles/esp-idf/commit/95e43fc2c4360f8126a0985bf037a293bebe3767>
>     to add a |uxMutexesHeld| field in |TaskStatus_t|.
>
>     However, in the ESP-IDF >= 4 build we're using mainstream ESP-IDF
>     (for the moment), which does not include this field.
>
>     So we adapt the display to handle both cases.

  * ESP-IDF4+ : crash handler and boot status #902
    <https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/pull/902>
>       o error handling rework (|xt_set_error_handler_callback| is only
>         available in our ESP-IDF 3.3.4 fork.)
>       o |esp_task_wdt_get_trigger_tasknames()| not available (*feature
>         removed* from ESP-IDF4+ builds) TODO
>       o first steps to support other archs than XTensa in
>         |boot_data.crash_data|

These are the *last 2 PRs* before being able to build with any of these
ESP-IDF versions : 3.3.4-ovms, 4.4.4, 5.0, 5.0.1, branch-v5.0,
branch-v5.1, latest - the last mile !

(One workaround PR
<https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/pull/903>
is pending to be able to *run* one of these new versions, preventing a
crash at boot - but it needs a proper analysis first)

Also, with these 2 PRs, we will be able to enable automatic builds on
all these versions on master (using GitHub "Actions") - you can have a
preview of what I mean here :
https://github.com/llange/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/actions

As we're slowly entering a period of transition between ESP-IDF
3.3.4-ovms and a more recent one (5.0.1 ?), we will need a way to ensure
that the PRs / commits are OK across all these versions. Automatic
builds can be configured to build on all targeted ESP-IDF versions, and
can report their result back in the PRs, so that we can trap potential
compilation errors before merging.
(Especially as in the newer ESP-IDF versions, more and more warnings are
treated as compilation errors)

I also prepared a check for documentation errors using the same mechanism.

Thanks in advance.