[Ovmsdev] ESP-IDF v4 / v5 - baby steps

Ludovic LANGE ll-ovmsdev at lange.nom.fr
Sat Feb 25 09:07:19 HKT 2023

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your time in reviewing those patches.

Do not hesitate to tell me when I can rework a PR to simplify it, or
make it more readable.

If you still have some energy, a new round of PRs is ready here :
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+author%3Allange+draft%3Afalse

After this round, there will still be 2 or 3 PRs that will apply
cleanly, then we will have to discuss a few things:

  * We need to re-implement (if possible) the crash handling that were
    implemented as part as our ESP-IDF fork
    (`xt_set_error_handler_callback` and
    `esp_task_wdt_get_trigger_tasknames`). There is a new API
    (`esp_core_dump_image_get` and `esp_core_dump_get_summary`) but I'm
    not familiar enough with the crash handling mechanism (both the old
    one, and the new API) to handle it at the moment :-)
    I just disabled it in the `experimental-esp-idf-build-workflow`
    branch, which is not the proper approach

  * `spi_flash_erase_range` has been replaced by
    `esp_flash_erase_region` (but with esp_flash_default_chip that may
    need to be initialised via `esp_flash_init()`) - it is used in
    `module_perform_factoryreset` of
    `vehicle/OVMS.V3/main/ovms_module.cpp`. We would need to check this
    (I just disabled it, not good)

  * Our ESP-IDF fork added a field `uxMutexesHeld` to `struct
    xTASK_STATUS` :
    https://github.com/openvehicles/esp-idf/commit/95e43fc2c4360f8126a0985bf037a293bebe3767
    , which is then used in `module_tasks()` in
    `vehicle/OVMS.V3/main/ovms_module.cpp`. Do we want to continue to
    have this field (and need to maintain a fork of ESP-IDF) ?

  * Mongoose SSL (using mbedTLS) is a complex issue... We may be able to
    switch to the latest Mongoose be we would loose a lot of our patches
    we are very difficult to port to the new version (which changed a
    lot). A very small number of those patches seems not needed any
    more, but for the others we need to decide what to do if we pursue
    this route.

  * And many more interesting discussions :-)

Regarding ESP-IDF v4 : I used it because it was an intermediary step
(between v3 and v5) with less deprecations, so it was easy to port from
v3. ESP-IDF v5 introduced a lot of deprecations and changes, but having
done the v4 port gave me confidence that it could be done.
(/Note: v4 needs a patch to support WHOLE_ARCHIVE - which I don't know
if it is important, or not, to have/)

As ESP-IDF v5 is a "recent" release (5.0.0 is 2022-12-2, 5.0.1 is
2023-02-17), it may be possible that some of our dependencies out there
are not (yet) ready to be compatible with v5 (while they are OK with v4):

  * For example wolfSSL (I know I know... but we may need it for
    wolfSSH) seems to have some issues related to ESP-IDFv5 +
    hardware-acceleration,
  * https://github.com/trombik/esp_wireguard is not (yet) working with
    v5:
    https://github.com/trombik/esp_wireguard/issues/33#issuecomment-1430615198
    (This is a pet project of mine :
    https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/issues/752
    )

So, to answer your question, I'll try to keep v4 compatibility in my
branches for some time in case it's needed - but it's perfectly OK to
skip it in the "official" OVMSv3 if it works fine without.

Regards,