[Ovmsdev] Using Ovms to display information on a HUD

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Fri Feb 3 10:43:46 HKT 2023

Hi all,

Now that I have an OVMS board that can actually sustain the HUD display
power (not sure what was wrong with the previous one), I've certainly been
making some inroads and found having the HUD a useful tool.

I've got the internal ECU running, although I had to add a script for RPM
to get the absolute value since  the HUD doesn't like -ve numbers!  I'm not
sure I need RPM, but at least I now know that I'm retrieving sane values...
so that was quite useful.
Interestingly at 100km/h, the RPM gets up to 7000 which the HUD doesn't
expect and with alarms on, it engages the 'shift now' HUD alarm as well as
the 'that's definitely too high an RPM' HUD alarm!!! lol. (I worked out how
to turn the HUD alarms off).

One of the issues I'm having is that the refresh rate is 1 every 3 to 4
seconds, even after I upped the POLL time entry for the Ioniq 5 OBDII
messages that contain 'speed' and 'rpm' to be every 1 tick. I'm not sure
how long it takes to complete receiving .. or how often '1 tick' is
happening in reality, but I'm guessing that might be some of the problem.
What do other people who have a HUD experience?

The other problem is that the ECU seems to occasionally stop
working/responding to HUD requests.. so I'm going to have to look at that.
I don't even have file logging at the moment on the new OVMS.. but once I
get that up and going again I may have some more data.  I have noticed that
the OVMS itself isn't resetting .. so it's not a system crash.  Closing the
ECU down along with the power using *power.off* event and starting them
both up again on *power.on*  certainly means I'm more likely to start off
with it working!

Any thoughts on diagnosis welcome.

//.ichael