[Ovmsdev] Presentation and first questions

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sat Apr 29 15:55:13 HKT 2023

Romuald,

welcome :-)

Am 27.04.23 um 15:06 schrieb Romuald Conty (Opus Codium):
> To reach my goals, I'll have to:
>   - Read two CAN buses to grab and display values on a HUD
>   - Make an expansion board with some IC which requires to talk using I²C
>   - Publish events on a third CAN bus which exposes additional sensors values

> [...] To do it periodically, you would need a task
> Is there is a code base to write a task in OVMSv3 context? or a similar code
> that have the right architecture in current firmware?

There is a `TaskBase` class, but that doesn't offer much of an advantage
for your use case. Creating a task really is very simple with FreeRTOS.

Examples:

  * The `obd2ecu` component derives & publishes HUD data using a task
    and seems to be close to your use case.
  * The `retools_pidscan` component uses a task to scan for PIDs on
    OBD2/ISO-TP devices.
  * The `canopen` component uses worker tasks to handle async CANopen
    protocol communication.