[Ovmsdev] Presentation and first questions

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Fri Apr 28 13:36:30 HKT 2023

Romuald,

Welcome. To answer your questions:

Goals seem fine. OVMS has three CAN buses, expansion board area, and can (sic) write to the third CAN bus. Be aware that there are only two free full GPIOs available, but as I2C only uses two (SDA, SCL), you should hopefully be ok.

No traps that I am aware of. Just follow the developer’s guide very carefully (in particularly regarding ESP IDF and compiler versions) to get your build environment up and running, and start with the default sdkconfig copied from support/sdkconfig.default.hw31.

OpenEnergyMonitor should have some prototyping boards (I don’t think they list them on the website, but you can ask to confirm). If not, I can supply from Hong Kong but shipping times and costs are still crazy at the moment.

Have a look at components/can for the framework. You just need a pointer to the can bus object, and then call the Write() method on it. You can look at can/src/can.c can_tx() function for an example. To do it periodically, you would need a task, or if lightweight use the timer functions. If you only need to write slowly (once a second or so), then even a script could do it.

Regards, Mark.