[Ovmsdev] GPS location glitch (flatbed theft false alert)

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Wed Jun 30 12:54:48 HKT 2021

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021, Craig Leres wrote:
> On 6/29/21 9:05 AM, Stephen Casner wrote:
> > For vehicles like the Tesla Roadster that don't use the modem's GPS,
> > putting the detection only in the modem NMEA code would not help.
>
> Unless the roadster's gps has the same wacky problem with latitude or
> longitude temporarily jumps to zero (or near zero) and back, I think the
> roadster should have its own code to deal with gps bugs.
>
> On 6/29/21 1:01 PM, Stephen Casner wrote:
> > What would qualify as exactly the same bug behavior?  If it is
> > specifically that the latitude or longitude is reported as 0, that may
> > not be the same.  What we see is a sharp deviation in the GPS
> > position.
>
> So both latitude and longitude temporarily jump? The kind of fix we currently
> have for the simcom gps (and what I'm proposing we do instead) won't help with
> that.

Craig, I've forwarded to you separately the data I reported here in
2019.  Indeed, the behavior was not that the lattiture or longitude
would drop to zero temporarily.  Both lat and lon would typically
change at the same time, sometimes in opposite directions (signs) and
sometimes the same.

                                                        -- Steve