[Ovmsdev] new member interested in Kia Soul EV preheating

Geir Øyvind Vælidalo geir at validalo.net
Tue Jun 29 02:05:11 HKT 2021

Hi Kyle,

I’m the one who made most of the Kia Soul-part of OVMS. I’m not active anymore as I seldom go for long trips with the Soul and therefore don’t need to use the OVMS regularly. A lot has changed in almost seven years 🙂

The only way I can think of that might work to get the commands for remote heating, is to have someone with UVO-access to scan the CAN buses while turning on and of remote heating. Unfortunately I couldn't find any one able to do that.
I’ve got a diagnostic tool that can control the different parts of the HVAC, so I did sample some of the commands, but in the end I didn’t use them as I didn’t dare to mess with the HVAC manually.

Regarding the 12V-draining that Henrik mentions, waking up the in-car CAN bus systems is needed to read the state of anything when the cars is off, like the door-locks, if I recall correctly. Otherwise OVMS would be completely silent and «useless» when the car is off. I don’t know if any one has found another way around it.

Best regards,
Geir