[Ovmsdev] indirect TPMS in app

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Mon Jan 11 05:40:46 HKT 2021

I read something about this being typical for all (or many?) VW
vehicles, apparently they don't have dedicated TPMS sensors but derive
the tyre "health" from the ESP sensors.

If that's correct, there is no way we will ever be able to map the
values to actual temperatures & pressures.

So… how about adding new relative TPMS metrics & warning/alert
indicators to be used alternatively to the current absolute temperatures
& pressures?

We could add these now as vectors, and replace the previous single
metrics for temperatures & pressures by vectors as well. That would
reduce the metric payload size on both MQTT and the WebSocket transport,
and also adapt nicely to vehicles with more or less than four wheels.

Proposal: numbering scheme rows front to back, left to right per row.
For four wheels:

v.t.pressure            fl,fr,rl,rr    [kPa]
v.t.temp         fl,fr,rl,rr    [°C]
v.t.health              fl,fr,rl,rr [%]
v.t.alert              fl,fr,rl,rr    [0/1/2]

The alert vector can use the same scheme as with the battery cells, i.e.
0 = OK, 1 = warning, 2 = alert.

The MP message "W" can be replaced by a new one. Proposal: Code "Y", data:

  * number of wheels
  * pressure values + staleness
  * temp values + staleness
  * health values + staleness
  * alert values + staleness

We can continue producing "W" messages for old clients in the field.

Anything missing?

If that's OK for all, I can make the necessary changes.