[Ovmsdev] Time for release 3.2.016?

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Thu Feb 18 15:56:04 HKT 2021

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021, Stephen Casner wrote:

> > > That would be great.
> > >
> > > Mongoose has an SSL library abstraction layer, but there certainly will be
> > > dragons...
> >
> > The Espressif reference you cited included a step of switching the
> > ESP-TLS configuration parameter from mbedtls to wolfssl.  If Mongoose
> > was going to mbedtls through ESP-TLS, then that configuration might
> > take care of it.  But if not, ...
>
> Hmmm, it looks like the documentation on using wolfssl with ESP-IDF
> assumes the new CMake build system, not the older build system that we
> are still using for OVMS.  You may be right about the dragons.

Well, it turns out that Mongoose also has an OpenSSL library
abstraction layer as an alternative to MBEDTLS, and wolfSSL has an
OpenSSL compatibility layer.  I have verified that we can plug the two
together without bloodshed.  I've made a mongoose-wolfssl branch with
this change implemented, but I have not tested it thoroughly.  I can
run server v2 and make connections to it through the app and the
server -- that uses SSL now, right?

I have also not done anything to reduce or remove MBEDTLS yet.  I
don't know if there are other dependencies.

Please check it out.

                                                        -- Steve