[Ovmsdev] Messages stopped being received on phone

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 07:22:08 HKT 2024

Hi folks,

I recently noticed that Alerts (Messages) have stopped coming to my
phone.  The last one was on 8-January '24.  The car is still operating /
charging normally, and has been driven since then.  The Battery, Car,
and Location screens are up to date and live.  The OVMS module is
connected to the home Wi-Fi, as normal, and I can access it through the
internal web server (dashboard, status, etc.).  But the phone app's
Messages page stops at 8-January.

I've not messed with the module in a long time.  Last boot, in fact, was
a crash back in July 2023, from which it recovered normally. (So lovely
seeing an uptime in excess of 17 million seconds.)

So, what happened back on 8-January?  The only thing I can think of was
that Android is being more aggressive about shutting down background
processing (in the name of increased battery life), but leaving the app
running in foreground and triggering an event still wasn't seen on the
phone.  I can see them on the Web's Dashboard, so the events are being
generated and processed otherwise normally.

The phone is a Pixel 7a, Android 14.  OVMS firmware is 3.3.003/ota_1/eap
(build idf v3.3.4-848-g1ff5e24b1 Sep 1 2022 08:40:30).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg