[Ovmsdev] Strange issues with Car GPS accuracy.

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Sun May 21 11:41:04 HKT 2023

Hi all,
I'm having a bunch of weird things going on which seem correlated to having
the OVMS running.  I'm not convinced of causation yet.

My car's Nav system is drifting out majorly (like by >100m) and then seems
to stay out.  This causes major distractions as the nav system keeps giving
me warnings about going down one-way roads and it makes the navigation
'interesting' to use.

I also noticed that Android Auto location was frozen in one place, so I
assumed this was coming from the car - or meant to be anyway.  I reduced
the polling rate (new work I'm doing) slightly and this freezing no longer
happens. (To 3 speed queries per second).  But the drifting out on the
Navigation  still happens... but then not on AA!? Very very weird.

If I unplug the OVMS from the OBD port (as I'm driving) it seems to (but
not immediately - after a minute or so) correct itself.  It's hard to
confirm this is directly resulting .. but it seems to be?

I turned off my ECU2OBD which should mean that it is resorting to 1 per
second POLL with a low throttle value.  I'll run with some logs to make
sure this is what is happening.. but it still seems that this hasn't
stopped this issue from happening.

I've tried turning the GSM power off. No result.

Another note: I seem to have stopped getting anything near regular updates
from the OVMS GPS. Every now and again it gets a successful change come
through.  Still working on diagnosing that.. maybe it's related?

Any thoughts / help would be useful.

//.ichael