[Ovmsdev] Review request

Ludovic LANGE ll-ovmsdev at lange.nom.fr
Fri May 19 03:22:53 HKT 2023

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words.

For building with the newer ESP-IDF versions, I believe the 2 recent PRs
that have just been merged a few minutes ago should help you progress
towards this goal.

If not, please share more of the issues you're facing (error messages,
etc...)

There is not (to my knowledge...) a real documentation, but here is a
summary of the steps I can share:

  * First and obvious step : ensure that you have _independent_ ESP-IDF
    installs on your build environment, and that all are able to build
    the "hello world" example of the documentation (
    https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/get-started/linux-macos-setup.html#get-started-linux-macos-first-steps
    )

  * When starting from scratch, I often remove the "build" directory (rm
    -rf build), and start with a known "sdkconfig" file.

  * For the standard build (which is at the moment based on our custom
    fork of ESP-IDF 3.3.4), you will certainly use your own
    "*sdkconfig*", or the one coming from
    "support/sdkconfig.default.hw31" with : "cp
    support/sdkconfig.default.hw31 sdkconfig")
      o The build command would be "make -j all"

  * For newest ESP-IDF, and assuming you are synch'd with master from a
    few minutes ago, there are is an additional step to add:
      o First you need to patch "mongoose" with a small patch from here
        :
        https://github.com/llange/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/blob/build-master/vehicle/OVMS.V3/support/mongoose-espv5.patch
      o And you will use a different "*sdkconfig.defaults*" - I'd
        suggest using for the moment the one from here :
        https://github.com/llange/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/blob/build-master/vehicle/OVMS.V3/support/sdkconfig.defaults.esp5.0.1
        with "rm sdkconfig* ; cp /tmp/sdkconfig.defaults.esp5.0.1
        sdkconfig.defaults"
      o The build command would be "idf.py build"

Please note a different philosophy regarding the sdkconfig file:

  * In ESP-IDF 3.3.4 we use a *"sdkconfig"* file from the "support/"
    directory
  * while is ESP-IDF >=4 I suggest that we use a "*sdkconfig.defaults*"
    (which could live in support/ but could also be in vehicle/OVMS.V3
    in source control) and copy it as "*sdkconfig.defaults*"

The difference in approach is that with the "sdkconfig.defaults" it can
live alongside you own "sdkconfig" and will only specify defaults values
; so that your changes to "sdkconfig" are not lost when we modify the
"sdkconfig.defaults" file. You could have "sdkconfig.defaults" under
source control and "sdkconfig" in gitignore living side by side.
Cf
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/kconfig.html#using-sdkconfig-defaults

You can also get inspiration from the automatic builds on my branch: Ex:
https://github.com/llange/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/actions/runs/5017264712/jobs/8995164903

You'll find the workflow file describing the build instructions here :
https://github.com/llange/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/actions/runs/5017264712/workflow

And an example for each supported build on the left : If you click on a
build, you'll find the steps that have been run, and if I ever forgot to
write something here you'll find it in those logs. (Forget about the
"cache" things, the various "updates" etc..)

While those automated builds use docker, in fact it doesn't change the
way to build.

Let me know if you have issue with these builds, your separate ESP-IDF
installs, or how to switch from one to the other.

Regards,