[Ovmsdev] Compiling OVMS under WSL!

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Tue Jul 4 16:17:40 HKT 2023

Hi all,

I should probably have documented this closer so that we could include it
in the instructions, though it's essentially the same as the Linux ones.

That being said, I can confirm that Ubuntu running under WSL will happily
compile OVMS!

 WSL 2 under WIndows 11 seems to somewhat cope with X11/Wayland and  with
sound (sometimes laggy), so I can use the X versions of git gui and
gitk...
Unfortunately the responsiveness of gvim is not great (some weird lag in
the keyboard input) but using  wsl as the shell in windows gvim works quite
well!  I've got a ovms.vim that sets things up.

It seems VSCode using WSL is a possibility as well:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/remote/wsl
imho I think this would be much nicer than dealing with mingw.

//.ichael