[Ovmsdev] Getting up-to-speed on Ioniq 5 - Newb help on obdii commands

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Wed Sep 21 00:56:28 HKT 2022

Michael,

the obdii command's broadcast feature isn't capable of processing
multiple responses, maybe that's what happens. It's more meant as a ping
to see if there are some SAE conforming devices on the bus.

Don't expect to detect specialized devices by a broadcast, only some
devices acting in the standard SAE/OBDII ID range (7E0-7E7) will listen
to the broadcast ID. To find ISO-TP devices not conforming to the SAE ID
range, you need to loop over the probable TX ID range, e.g. 500-7FF
(make sure there are no process data frames present in that range
first). Looping over an ID range is currently best done using a script,
the re scan tool lacks this option.

Most EV do not implement standard SAE OBDII PIDs, so querying the VIN by
0902 normally doesn't work (see other vehicle modules for some
examples). Most EV don't even comply to the OBDII standard of giving you
bitsets of supported PIDs.

But as you see a response, try sending the request to the device the
response corresponds to (i.e. response ID - 8). The VIN should normally
be on device 7E0 7E8. It's also totally normal the devices only respond
while the car is on, awake or charging. Finding out how to wake up a car
from OBD is one of the hard parts.

Finally, if the vehicle currently loaded doesn't implement a full
shutdown (happens when switching to another vehicle like NONE), you may
end up with partially initialized CAN interfaces or other strange
issues. To make sure the vehicle module doesn't interfere with your
scans, boot into vehicle NONE.