[Ovmsdev] Getting up-to-speed on Ioniq 5 - Newb help on obdii commands

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Tue Sep 20 14:26:48 HKT 2022

Hi all,
I have got my OVMS device (no SIM yet, but I'm working on that), and have
been connecting and playing round with commands.

I'm starting to get my head around things. I have being mucking round with
SavvyCan and now understand a little the ISO-TP protocol stuff happening on
top of the standard can bus now.  SavvyCan seems to like disconnecting from
the TCP server, but going via a COM emulator seems to work better (and can
be restarted). All very weird, but I can cope with that.

I'm getting a weird response from the following when it responds (VIN):
obdii can1 request broadcast 0902

It contains elements of my actual VIN but not the main number at the end.
I'm wondering if this is an OBDII receive issue?  Does this command work
for other people to get the actual VIN? Also it seems to only work in
certain circumstances (?when the car is on?).. which is "fun".

I have also had issues where if I use the "Set Car to NONE" on the RE PID
Scanner interface, it seems to stop communications.. and obdii command set
no longer works - even if I restart the CAN bus. Setting the vehicle back
to 'KO' seems to fix things.

//.ichael Geddes