[Ovmsdev] Ioniq 5 - Pushing up some prerequisite changes to components/vehicles

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sun Oct 23 16:15:11 HKT 2022

Michael,

what I really dislike about your change is that it adds complexity to
the underlying function just to fulfill an -- in my eyes more academic
-- type style choice: having to handle multiple buffer pointers just to
provide different typing approaches is bad. You could introduce a new
construct to provide a single polymorphic pointer, but that again adds
complexity.

Agreed, std::string is a bit type-sloppy in depending on char being
unsigned 8 bit, but that's all to consider, and can easily be enforced
if ever necessary.

On the plus side, std::string has far better library support, better
interoperability (see our use cases), and small string optimization,
which is especially useful for our platform, as most poll requests and
need for heap allocations.

So, besides the type independency, I think std::vector has no advantage
here.

There's another thing I'd like to address: it seems you're planning to
use single polls extensively?

If so, please don't, unless you're also going to do a full rewrite of
the poller towards a job/worker service task architecture (that's a very
old todo).

The single poll utility is really meant for sparse/manual polls outside
the normal polling scheme. See my comment on the method:

  * PollSingleRequest: perform *prioritized synchronous* single OBD2/UDS
request
  *  Pass a full OBD2/UDS request (mode/type, PID, additional payload).
  *  The request is sent immediately, *aborting a running poll list
request*. The previous
  *  poller state is automatically restored after the request has been
performed, but
  * *without any guarantee for repetition or omission of an aborted poll*.

This was really meant more for user/script use than for standard vehicle
polls, though it's OK to use it, where applicable, with caution.

For all standard polling, install a PID list. You can vary a list by the
poll state, and you can switch lists if necessary. PID lists can easily
be generated dynamically, see the VWUP code for an example.

The place for general CAN utility methods is the
components/can/src/canutils module, general utility methods go into the
main/ovms_utils module.

Regarding CAN buffer data extraction, there are currently probably as
many approaches as there are vehicle modules. Certainly would be nice to
have some standard way here, but won't be simple to rework the existing
vehicle adaptors.

The template approach is a nice one for a general solution, but keep in
mind not every vehicle will use big endian encoding, in some cases not
even consistently throughout the installed devices.

To be really general, your byte addressing needs to support more than
256 bytes in the buffer. Your templates also lack bit masking and
shifting. Some devices use packed structs with odd sized bit fields. The
DBC engine has support for all this, but not generalized. I remember
Mark getting a headache from this…