[Ovmsdev] Introduction - message replay and other topics

Ludovic LANGE ll-ovmsdev at lange.nom.fr
Wed Oct 19 06:44:14 HKT 2022

Thanks Michael !

I'll try to have a look at the can play framework - it could surely help
me speed up my dashboard development work (for the moment I'm injecting
on a real CAN Bus but it's not always ideal). But not everything is
clear for me in this concept, given that I don't know the whole
ecosystem very well (not helping is my inability to read C++).
If @Mark is reading, would you mind exchanging on this topic if you have
some time (and memories of what you had in mind when designing this part) ?

Here is a random dump of some other crazy ideas I'd like to share with
the list (read: things I thought would be nice to discuss):

  * Some features I like (seen in the doc of a related product):

      o Wifi: multiple AP/SSIDs defined in order to auto-connect to the
        strongest signal (or ability to "roam" from one site to another
        without having to re-configure the Wifi)

      o CanLog: ability to "split" log files according to some criterion
        : either the size (in bytes) of the log file ; or the timespan
        of the capture

      o CanFormat: support for reading / writing a compressed file
        format (e.g. Vector's BLF, etc...)

      o CanLog: ability to sync the log files to an external server
        (whenever a network connection is available), with (optional in
        my mind) local delete of the file after transfer.

  * DBC-based vehicle :
      o In my DBC experiments, I found I needed to register new metrics.
        While it's possible to create a new "vehicle_" module and have
        the registering occur there, it kinds of defeat the dynamic
        aspect of the DBC approach. So I was wondering if we could
        introduce a dynamic registration of metrics (e.g.: have a config
        setup, or a file in the vfs, that lists all the metrics that we
        want to register during vehicle module loading)

  * Wireguard interface : I was toying with the idea of having a
    network-enabled OVMS auto-registering in a dedicated network ; and
    being "locally" available, mdns working, web and ssh reachable...
    while exposing no local service on its main interface. I've seen
    discussion around a "firewall", and with this approach there is no
    more need to have one if no services are exposed.
    Don't know if it's feasible, a project like
    https://github.com/smartalock/wireguard-lwip is certainly
    interesting to look at (and also
    https://github.com/ciniml/WireGuard-ESP32-Arduino).

Let me know what you think about any of this

Regards,
Ludovic