[Ovmsdev] deep sleep

Patrick Stein 4seasons-ovms at jinx.de
Mon Nov 21 15:08:35 HKT 2022

I my case I have no problem with the modem working on USB. But to make it clear. The test case I had was the following. I powered the module on 14V OBD and the USB cable connected and not drawing any power over USB. Then I set the voltage to 9V so I would sleep and it told me in the console that the modem was beeing powered down - even though I could see messages send to the modem just before sleep.

When the module was in deep sleep ( going from over 1 Watt down to 490 mW ) and waited a few 1 minute cycles in deep sleep cycles I switched off the powersupply while in deep sleep between cycles and saw on the USB side the power beeing used was 290mW . Turned back the lab power supply for the next wakeup check and did a few cycle measurements while in deep sleep switching the power supply.

Isn’t the modem fully powered down for deep sleep ? I looked at the deep sleep code and it tells me that the modem will be powered down. Might it be feasable to pysically cut the modem power supply and replace that part with a switch that can be switched from the esp32 ? I’m into software not hardware so excuse my simple thinking here. I do understand that low power was not a goal for the board designers. But my use case is different with the car being solely beeing powered by it’s little 12v battery.

Regards , Patrick