[Ovmsdev] Introduction

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Tue Nov 8 15:40:25 HKT 2022

Welcome, Doug :-)

The OVMS is a very good base for playing & learning about embedded
systems & IoT as well as CAN bus & vehicle system communication.

There are lots of opportunities for low level & high level projects.
Creating plugins based on HTML & Javascript is pretty easy and quickly
rewarding, especially important for educational projects.

When digging deeper you'll get to CAN reverse engineering & protocols
and a quite complex FreeRTOS application running on a dual core
processor. It's amazing what can be done with the little ESP32. Plus
you've got an open source hardware you can easily extend and adapt, and
connect other devices to via Wifi.

Regarding Bolt support, a quick quack reveals
https://allev.info/boltpids/. If that's not sufficient you can easily
extend on that using the OVMS. A primer on CAN RE:
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/issues/255#issuecomment-835379478

Regarding educational projects, you may find some inspiration in the
example plugin:
https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/ovms_script/docs/foglight.html

An inspiration for small & fun hardware projects around the OVMS could
be the WifiConsole:
https://github.com/dexterbg/WifiConsole