[Ovmsdev] Thoughts on Metrics - new 'standard metric' candidates and right drive cars

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sun Nov 6 18:18:45 HKT 2022

The arrays would go along the scheme of the recent similar transition
for the TPMS, with the names factored out into a common vehicle
configuration:

  * http://lists.openvehicles.com/pipermail/ovmsdev/2021-January/015008.html
  * https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/commit/220616927e89f0109952c9056dc3f95b93c7e9fc

Factoring out the configuration solves the need for metric value
structures getting more complex than arrays. In this scheme, more
properties can be added simply by additional array metrics (as was
needed by the TPMS extension), and a runtime configuration change (e.g.
when towing a trailer or reconfiguring a family van seat rows) is a
simple array size change.

The "driver" could be the seat array index in this scheme, or -1 for "no
driver".

There is an open todo regarding a general query scheme for vehicle
configurations like these. This also applies to e.g. the battery pack
layout, and also to the features / commands supported etc.. We formerly
called these "capabilities" (in the OVMS V2 framework), but the
capabilities data model was too limited for V3.

There was no real need to implement a V3 approach for this previously,
but as we're now about to extend the metrics / vehicle configuration
dependencies, this should maybe addressed now as well.

Initial thoughts on this:

In the V3 scheme, vehicle configurations & features could be seen &
implemented as read-only configuration instances, i.e. reusing the
existing naming & querying & API scheme for user configurations.

The user interface would be a read-only config parameter
"vehicle.config" (or "vehicle.features" or "vehicle.support" for the
functional coverage?) for standard configurations, likewise vehicle
specific ones as "<vehicleprefix>.config" as needed.

Example:

// 5 seat car with a driver, a small child on the FR seat (airbag
disabled) and another child on the RR:
v.s.seat.load           67,12,0,0,32kg
v.s.seat.belt           1,1,0,0,1
v.s.seat.airbag         1,2,1,0,1

// FL seat heating on level 2, RR level 1:
v.e.seat.heating        2,0,0,0,1

// Driver is person on FL seat:
v.e.driver              0

// Query vehicle configuration:
OVMS# config list vehicle.config
vehicle.config (readable)
   tpms.layout           FL,FR,RL,RR
   seat.layout           FL,FR,RL,RM,RR
   …

// Query vehicle feature support:
OVMS# config list vehicle.support
vehicle.support (readable)
   ctrl.chg              mode,current,start,stop,limit,timer
   ctrl.env              climate,doors,valet,homelink
   ctrl.sys              wakeup
   info.bat              soc,range,soh,energy,bms
   info.chg              mode,current,state,duration,limit
   info.env              temps,doors,tpms
   …

Comments?