[Ovmsdev] Thoughts on Metrics - new 'standard metric' candidates and right drive cars

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Sat Nov 5 18:07:11 HKT 2022

Hi all,
I started this thought following up on my Ioniq 5 thread - but figured it
might be worth a new conversation.

Michael B talked about having some new standard metrics (and also some
consistent metric names in my i5 code: patch coming now that I understand a
bit better why those exist).

The Door Locked series is obviously a good start - the candidate names
being pretty straight forward imho.
v.d.l.fl
v.d.l.fr
v.d.l.rl
v.d.l.rr
Most cars these days would have seatbelt sensors - so they might also be a
candidate. v.sb.fl  etc.

That being said,  I have some issues related to 'right-hand-drive' vehicles
which are quite popular in Australia ;).  For a start, there's no metric
for it; obviously some cars implementations will have a setting.  For the
Hyundai this is important as it seems many left/right settings are actually
based on drive/passenger side in the OBD bits.

Sooo.. I was considering some of the issues:

1) When it's on a diagram or in a user message, we want left/right because
that's how we want to deal with it.
2) In general scared scripts, we probably care more about whether it is
drive/passenger side rather than left/right!

Could we have some metric alias's for left/right metrics that would be
drive/passenger that would allow
* Setting via either metric
* Reading via either metric
* Adding events based on either metric.
For eg
v.d.l.fl  links to
* v.d.l.fd (front driver) for Left-hand drive and
* v.d.l.fp (front passenter) for Right-hand drive cars.
I mean we could set both metrics..  but would that work?

Thoughts on this?
//.ichael