[Ovmsdev] VW e-Up: 12V DCDC inverter start

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Mon May 16 18:04:24 HKT 2022

Soko,

it seems many factors influence the DC trickle charge interval, besides
the actual voltage I think it's also at least temperature and age.
Chances are it also uses a load history.

Regarding sending a command to force a trickle charge, that may be
possible by issuing an actuator test command ("Ausgabetest" in
OBDeleven), but I don't remember having seen anything like that in
Heiko's screenshots. I did an analysis for one of these commands
(unlocking / locking the charge port), see my mail "Re: Schreibzugriff
OBD" of june 5th 2021 on our e-Up list.

Another approach would be to wake up the car and keep it awake as long
as needed. That seems to possible via Comfort CAN only -- you can keep
the car awake via OBD, but not wake it up (at least no method known yet).

Be aware waking the car up sets a higher voltage level: trickle charge
only runs at ~12.9V, while awake it's ~14.5V. I assume the 12V battery
has a charge regulator so it won't take damage from a longer period at
that level, but the equipment you'd like to power (assumed) could have
an issue with that.