[Ovmsdev] Fwd: Anyone working on Ioniq 5?

Michael Geddes frog at bunyip.wheelycreek.net
Tue Aug 23 07:46:06 HKT 2022

Hi,
I have an Australian Hyundai Ioniq 5 (no BlueLink or HUD in the current
versions).  I'm also a developer; have mucked round with some hardware
stuff, but it's been a bit.

I'm looking at whether it's worth attempting to use OVMS on my Ioniq 5.
Has anybody already started on this?  The idea of providing mapped OBD
commands through to a HUD is definitely appealing, as would be getting
charge status stats remotely.

If I were to start, which cable would I be best to get? Is it left or right
that I need?  The port is to the right of my right-hand-drive steering
wheel. At least I'm pretty sure that's the OBD2 port.  I'm new to ODB so
not even sure how to recognise OBD vs OBD2!

What I know:
The old Hyundai Ioniq is a model that has EV, ICE, Hybrid, Plug-in Hybrid
versions.  The Ioniq 5 (and Ioniq 6, 7 etc) are part of a sub-brand based
on E-GMP EV platform that is also shared by the Kia EV6.
So I don't know whether the old Ioniq or Kona would be a good start.

Skills:
 * C/C++ (though I'm currently using Delphi), so happy to with different
'real' languages.
 * I could solder up a lead or circuit board, but wouldn't be able to
design a circuit board.
 * I've dealt with software on a  custom embedded controller  (albeit in
Forth + Forth assembly)

Any advice on this?   I have older kids; the youngest is about to finish
High School - so a new hobby might be a good thing to have :).

Pointers to good introduction to ODB2 and the Ioniq 5 specifics if anybody
has them would be welcome!

//.ichael