[Ovmsdev] TLS CA question

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Mar 4 10:38:45 HKT 2021

Steve,

A thorny issue. Servers are _supposed_ to provide intermediate certificates, up to a trusted root. When you are issued a certificate, it includes a bundle of these intermediary certificates to be installed at the same time.  In practice, servers are often mis-configured so they do not. This is made worse by browsers silently detecting this, then downloading the missing intermediate certificates (the child certificate contains a URL to its parent’s cert).

For Open Vehicles, I don’t think we need to deal with this, and we certainly don’t need the complexity of automatically downloading intermediate certificates. I think if the user wants to access a server misconfigured in that way, he can simply import and trust the intermediate certificate directly.

I don’t think we should set WOLFSSL_ALT_CERT_CHAIN.

Regarding your question, in normal operation OVMS as a client must validate the server certificates it connect to. I don’t think OVMS currently supports client certificates, although if it did we would have to correctly provide those to the server on connection.

Regards, Mark.