[Ovmsdev] GPS theft alert

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Mon Mar 1 09:28:45 HKT 2021

Michael, thanks for pointers on sd card logging. Meanwhile I've figured
out my problem is basic and the theft alert is just a symptom.

Last week I get sd logging configured and the first time I drove I got
to my destination (slightly more than 500m away) and happened to notice
that the ovms ios app showed my car had been parked for > 20 days...
Thanks to the persistent metrics feature I didn't notice but it appears
that my modules haven't communicated with my cars since about the end of
January; for example the fuel gauge was at 1/4 but the app showed 87%.
So in fact my theft alert problem is that v.e.on is *never* true.

Today I did some debugging. I tried running older builds (I keep an
archive of everything I actually run) and even went back to the 3.2.015
and 3.2.014 factory builds but when the car is running I don't see any
metrics getting updated. I did see a can bus error message but it looks
like I didn't capture it.

At this point I transitioned to the bench and my dev ovms module. I have
a raspberry pi 2 that has a can shield I've used for other projects. I
verified that candump/cansend could exchange canbus frames with a
prototype arduino project I had sitting around and then plugged it into
ovms module. I've appended my test session; I only tried sending from
ovms with the pi running "candump any".

Given that all three of my modules have canbus issues and the fact that
this problem started around the time I swapped esp32 modules I think
it's clear that I have a hardware problem related to the new esp32
modules. And it's probably not a bad solder joint as I inspected them
with the stereo microscope (and it's not likely I'd botch the same
pin(s) on all three modules).

Unfortunately I don't have much debugging left this weekend but what do
you suggest for my next move?

		Craig

Welcome to the Open Vehicle Monitoring System (OVMS) - SSH Console
Firmware: 3.2.015-718-g3f74c233/ota_0/main
Hardware: OVMS WIFI BLE BT cores=2 rev=ESP32/3

OVMS# vehicle status
Vehicle module 'Empty Vehicle' (code NONE) loaded and running
OVMS# can list
can1: Off/1000000 dbc none
can2: Off/1000000 dbc none
can3: Off/1000000 dbc none
OVMS# can can1 start active 500000
Can bus can1 started in mode active at speed 500000bps
OVMS# can list
can1: Active/500000 dbc none
can2: Off/1000000 dbc none
can3: Off/1000000 dbc none
OVMS# log level verbose can
Logging level for can set to verbose
OVMS# can log start vfs crtd /sd/can.crtd
CAN logging to VFS active: Type:vfs Format:crtd(discard) Filter:off
Vehicle:NONE Path:/sd/can.crtd
OVMS# can can1 tx standard 87 DEAD
E (982009) can: can1: intr=1 rxpkt=0 txpkt=0 errflags=0x8000a2 rxerr=1
txerr=0 rxovr=0 txovr=0 txdelay=0 txfail=0 wdgreset=0 errreset=0
E (982009) can: can1: intr=11 rxpkt=0 txpkt=0 errflags=0x8040a2
rxerr=100 txerr=0 rxovr=0 txovr=0 txdelay=0 txfail=0 wdgreset=0 errreset=0
E (982009) can: can1: intr=15 rxpkt=0 txpkt=0 errflags=0x204000
rxerr=135 txerr=0 rxovr=0 txovr=0 txdelay=0 txfail=0 wdgreset=0 errreset=0
E (982009) can: can1: intr=19 rxpkt=0 txpkt=0 errflags=0x8040a2
rxerr=135 txerr=0 rxovr=0 txovr=0 txdelay=0 txfail=0 wdgreset=0 errreset=0