[Ovmsdev] MCP2515 driver bug?

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Mon Jun 7 01:25:14 HKT 2021

On 6/6/21 9:16 AM, Michael Balzer wrote:
> I've just found a spot-on post on this issue:
>
> https://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=620741
>
> Tom suggests implementing a state machine to reproduce the receive
> order. His analysis & solution looks sound to me.

Leave it to chip designers to (a) identify issues with their
implementations and (b) provide a features to work around the issues.

Poking around github, this rollver enabled driver might be a good reference:

     https://github.com/collin80/esp32_can/

Looks like it was added less than a year ago via this PR:

     https://github.com/collin80/esp32_can/pull/22

I'm using an (obsolete) chip for the J1850/Class B network in my 6th
generation Corvette. I am using it with an atmega (running at 20 MHz)
but the bus is only 10.4 kb/s and the part (HIP710) SPI master which
precludes using SPI for anything else. I've been working on a J1850/CAN
bridge so that ovms can access the bus; I had to step up to the
atmega644/atmega1284 to pick up a second UART which can be used in SPI
master mode for use with a MCP2515. But I haven't quite debugged my SPI2
code...

		Craig