[Ovmsdev] GPS quits?

Steve Davies steve at telviva.co.za
Tue Jan 12 18:05:19 HKT 2021

Hi,

I'm finding the OVMS GPS really unreliable.

For instance, here are the current "v.p." values from my OVMS.

I'm apparently going 88 km/h on the highway notwithstanding that my car is
parked at my house:

v.p.acceleration
v.p.altitude                             9.7m
v.p.direction                            347.5°
v.p.gpshdop                              1
v.p.gpslock                              yes
v.p.gpsmode                              AN
v.p.gpsspeed                             88.3404km/h
v.p.latitude                             -34.0584
v.p.location
v.p.longitude                            18.4477
v.p.odometer                             15053km
v.p.satcount                             9
v.p.speed                                0km/h
v.p.trip                                 22km
xi3.v.p.tripconsumption                  125Wh/km
xi3.v.p.wheel1_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel2_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel3_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel4_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel_speed                      0km/h

Earlier when I went out the GPS position got similarly stuck and only
recovered when I power cycled the OVMS.

simcom status:

OVMS# simcom status
Network Registration: RegisteredHome
Provider: VodaCom-SA
Signal: -99 dBm

State: NetMode

PPP: Connected on channel: #2

GPS: Connected on channel: #1

I turned the modem off with the gui and then turned it on.  Result of doing
that was it did not get a PPP connection after some minutes, and the GPS
did not connect.

I tried this twice with the same result.  Position is still the old one as
above, no 3G PPP connection and no GPS connection.

My GPS antenna is currently on the dashboard - could it be overheating in
the sun there? - it is probably pretty warm.  (But my car is currently
under shade since I got home)

I now went and power cycled the OVMS and the SIMCOM connected successfully,
GPS connected, and has the correct position:

OVMS# metrics list v.p.
v.p.acceleration
v.p.altitude                             5.2m
v.p.direction                            0°
v.p.gpshdop                              1
v.p.gpslock                              yes
v.p.gpsmode                              AA
v.p.gpsspeed                             0km/h
v.p.latitude                             -34.0XXX
v.p.location                             Home
v.p.longitude                            18.4XXX
v.p.odometer                             15053km
v.p.satcount                             9
v.p.speed                                0km/h
v.p.trip                                 22km
xi3.v.p.tripconsumption                  125Wh/km
xi3.v.p.wheel1_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel2_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel3_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel4_speed                     0km/h
xi3.v.p.wheel_speed                      0km/h

I'm running with the ABRP script - is it possible that this is impacting
the reliability?

Otherwise I'm looking for ideas...

Thanks,
Steve