[Ovmsdev] Using the BMW Connecteddrive API from OVMS

Chris van der Meijden chris at arachnon.de
Fri Feb 19 18:56:06 HKT 2021

Hi Steve,
I've never been to South Africa, but I always enjoy speaking to South
Africans Dutch to Afrikaans. Always fun, the similarities but mostly
the differences garanty smiles :-)
We had the same awake problem on the VW e-Up. That was the reason why I
decided to go the way directly over the CAN Messages on the Komfort-
CAN. Later we start developing the OBD part too and now we brought both
worlds together in one vehicle module.
This approach has the advantage, that we can manipulate the car
directly on the CAN bus (climate remote control, wake up), but also get
the goodies from the system via OBD. Disadvantage is that we need a
more complex wiring and we had to find access to the Komfort-CAN and
had to reverse engineer the Komfort-CAN Message-IDs.
But we can wake up the car.
Some cars do also have extra "wake up" lines for OBD that can be used
to trigger a wake up. I'm afraid you'll need loads of time of digging
the internet to find the right solution. But it is worth it.
Greetinx
Chris