[Ovmsdev] GPS theft alert

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sat Feb 13 05:32:36 HKT 2021

Craig,

Am 12.02.21 um 19:25 schrieb Craig Leres:
> On 2/12/21 1:28 AM, sharkcow wrote:
>> I got the theft alert again last night, the car had been standing for
>> several hours... so at least in my case I would think the alert trigger
>> is too sensitive compared to the resolution/accuracy of the GPS
>> measurement.
>
> I also got a theft alert last night. Considering that I had never seen
> this alert until a few weeks ago it feels like something has changed.
> This includes the vehicle_cadillac_c2_cts which until a few days ago
> was not updating StandardMetrics.ms_v_env_on->SetValue() (which I
> believe maps to v.e.on?) And looking at OvmsLocations::CheckTheft()
> it's not even clear to me that a vehicle module that never sets
> ms_v_env_on can even trigger an alert?!?!

The cadillac_c2_cts module did set ms_v_env_on before your recent
change, the call is on line 113.

> I browsed changes to ovms_location.cpp over the last months and if
> anything I would think it was less likely to get a theft alert.

My recent change of making the GPS coordinates persistent is the only
thing that could have caused a change here, but I don't see how that
could produce false alerts without a crash/reboot, which didn't happen
in any of the reported cases.

> It's difficult for me to see how upgrading my esp32 hardware could be
> causing this especially since the gps hardware is in the simcom. My
> GPS antennas haven't changed recently; the Cadillac is using the
> onstar antenna in the sharkfin on the roof and the Corvette is using
> the onestar antenna in the passenger windshield onstar brick.
> Reception is good in my garage, both cars are usually tracking ~8
> satellites. I also have gps installed in my garage that I use for ntpd
> timekeeping -- there is aluminized insulation in the roof of my condo
> that all but blocks the signal but nothing like that in the garage roof.

Rumour has it…
https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/other/is-russia-distorting-gps-signals-to-protect-vladimir-putin/ar-BB1dsEUc
…but there are no Putin palaces in Germany, at least none known yet… ;-)

> On 2/12/21 1:35 AM, Michael Balzer wrote:
> > Please check your "L" log at the time of the alert: what did your GPS
> > data look like just before the alert?
>
> Do I need to turn on logging to the sdcard to see this? As far as I
> know I'm not doing any logging right now.

As Steve said, I meant the "L" records stored on a V2 server.

https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/protocol_v2/messages.html#car-location-message-0x4c-l

The V2 server stores these, if configured, in the historical messages
table, just like "h/H" messages.

You can use the V2 perl client (also available at
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Server/tree/master/clients)
or the HTTP API to retrieve them. Or, if you're on my server, you can
download the CSV directly from the web UI or using the underlying REST API.

If your V2 server isn't configured to store the standard messages, you
still can fetch them from your module's logfile by grepping for
"ovms-server-v2: Send MP-0 L" lines.