[Ovmsdev] New module VWEUP.ALL :)

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sat Oct 10 03:20:18 HKT 2020

Guys,

if you all agree on merging both ways to connect now, a single vehicle
implementation with some kind of connection configuration is again the
right option.

Copying the code from the separate vehicles to build a third one will
not be acceptable as the general solution. That would become hell for
code maintenance and user support.

So you first need to agree on working together on this now. You split up
because there were some hard to resolve issues in your earlier
collaboration.

I understand there are some features and metrics available on both
buses, but most are available either only on the OBD bus or only on the
KCAN bus.

Users should be able to decide if they connect either or both of the
buses, unless you find a simple option to provide connectivity to both
from a convenient mounting place for the module.

So for stuff available on both buses the code will need to decide which
bus to use at a given time/state, depending on the connections available
and the data quality available on each of the buses.

That means you need to agree on which bus to prioritize if both are
available, you need to collaborate on this with the goal of providing
the best solution to the user, regardless of your personal preferences.

It seems sharkcow is the perfect choice as a moderator on this. If you
can agree on him/her for this role, you should contribute your changes
to sharkcow's repository first. Sharkcow would take care to integrate
your submissions and then forward the results to the OVMS repository for
inclusion.

On a first glance into the code I think you should reorganize the
modules to separate the bus handling from the general logic /
dispatching layer and factor out common utilities.

As a side note: I can see there are now two bool configs reserved for
this ("con_obd" & "con_t26"), both not actually used yet. This should
become a combined config instance, as there are only three valid options.

But I won't look further now. If you decide to work together now, I'm
sure there will be a much better integration in no time.