[Ovmsdev] Cannot reset simcom stuck in PoweringOn state without removing module power

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Mon Feb 3 15:30:46 HKT 2020

On 2020-02-02 02:07, Michael Balzer wrote:
> Dimitrie / Thomas just reported a very similar (same?) issue on a EU
> modem: https://www.openvehicles.com/node/2401
> <https://www.openvehicles.com/node/2401#comment-6228>

I have one modem that seems to do this every 1-2 weeks. This weekend I
finished a mqtt to nagios bridge so I can tell *when* the modem isn't happy.

> He managed to get a log from the issue, which shows the MUX startup to
> be broken and remain broken until power down.
>
> Specifically, MUX port 2 (just that one) gets stuck in some error state,
> which does not resolve by a soft power cycle.
> Thomas also found out even a short hard power cycle won't be sufficient
> to resolve this:

What I found is that when the modem is stuck, it no longer responds to
AT commands and cycling the PWR pin has no effect.

>> I found out, when i powered off and 1-2 sec. later on again. the modem
>> got stuck.
>> when i power it off and wait 1 minute and then power it on. it will
>> start normal.

I usually count to 10 before replugging.

> His modem firmware version is 35316B12SIM5360E (B12).
>
> @Thomas: there is a B13 available…
>
>> I've found later versions (up to B13) and release notes listed only here:
>> https://techship.com/products/simcom-sim5360e-mpcie-sim/
>>
>> …but you need an account to access them and must accept an NDA.
>
> If you feel lucky you might try that. But it's also possible this is a
> hardware flaw in all SIM5360 versions.

I registered/nda'd and while I have B09 through B13 of the sims5360E
firmware but have never found any US versions. I have three
modules/modems, two arew B07 (35316B07SIM5360A), one I unsoldered to
replace with a sim7600a but is likely the same.

		Craig