[Ovmsdev] Do I have to flash "entire chip" with esptool if I already have the code on my OVMS box?

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sat Dec 5 21:59:39 HKT 2020

Steve,

side note: according to the "received" headers it seems you're sending
all messages twice, please check your mail client/setup.

Most cars have some live status frames (called "process data objects" in
CANopen), some need polling. Nearly all car adaptions use OBD polling to
retreive extended info. Polling is necessary on the OBD2 variant of the
VW e-Up, and IIRC also on the newer Nissan Leaf models.

I suggest looking at the e-Up OBD for reference first, as it uses only
polling and is simple & clean.

Having no status frames means you may also need to poll to detect the
vehicle power status, but that may keep the car alive and drain the 12V
battery. The e-Up OBD variant uses the 12V level as a hint, maybe that's
an option for you as well.