[Ovmsdev] Do I have to flash "entire chip" with esptool if I already have the code on my OVMS box?

Steve Davies steve at telviva.co.za
Sat Dec 5 18:40:04 HKT 2020

Hi Mark et-al,

I've installed the esp32 and the esp-idf environments on my Mac and
successfully build the OVMS firmware.

In the developer guide it then covers how to flash the box with esptool.

But: do I need to do that? - my OVMS box is up and running already -

I'm guessing I can use OTA update to update with

steve at maximus OVMS.V3 % ls -l  build/ovms3.bin
-rw-r--r--  1 steve  staff  2986336 Dec  5 12:24 build/ovms3.bin

?

Since the "flash from web" and and "flash from file" are looking for an
ovms.bin.

Nervous to brick my box since it was expensive to get it to Cape Town.

By the way, my build prints 'App "ovms3" version:
3.2.015-162-g10232c58-dirty'

I recognise the git commit hash, but what is the "-dirty"?

(I build a "bmwi3" branch of a fork of the original project - maybe that
answers my own question?)

My OVMS box currently says it's running "3.2.015/ota_0/main (build idf
v3.3.2-881-g22d636b7b Sep 2 2020 08:32:35)"

Thanks,
Steve