[Ovmsdev] Flash memory and developement setup

Eddy Vromen eddy_vromen at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 08:28:25 HKT 2020

Mark, Micheal,

Thanks for both your responses.

I was not using the "-j4" and i had the virus scanner going berserk in the back ground. I am now getting times that are in the ball park.

I looked at Fabrizio's thread. I very much applaud his efforts. I am not yet in a state where i can start porting code yet. Still trying to understand everything thats going on in the modules.

Here is what i am trying to do:
I want to re-purpose the project for use in a high-end ebike.
The major changes that i am exploring are:

  *   Add 1 or 2 serial interfaces.
  *   Add a display/ dashboard /odometer to the system. This means there will be another data consumer. (thinking of equipping a display with can functionality)
  *   In order to work around the lack of io pins on the esp32, i was thinking to replace the 2 MP2515's, the MAX7317 by a sinlge STM32F1xx chip (or higher level model) . Inside the STM i can implement dual CAn, dual UART and use the rest of the pins as GPIO. Interfacing between the esp32 and the stm will still go though the SPI. If I implement the same register structures as the dedicated IC's in the STM code, the software changes should be oversee-able.
  *   There are 3 concerns that i have:
     *   The latency of handling the CAN busses is probably going to increase. Hard to say by how much at this stage. It might be minimal. The STM has dedicated CAN protocol functionality like the MP2515's. Its the glue code that bridges between SPI and CAN that i am worried about.
     *   Congestion of the SPI bus: In the scenario where one of the CAN busses has a display  on it and one of the UARTs is connected to a BMS or MotorController. There will be major data flows in 2 directions on the SPI.
     *   Even if i keep the code in the STM as dumb and transparent as possible, there still is the need to update it in the field. This means i need 1-2 more sections in the ESP flash for OTA -ing the stm plus the software functionality to perform an OTA of the STM from the ESP.

 What are you guys' thoughts about this. Is this feasible or am i crazy 🙂?

Thanks,
Eddy