[Ovmsdev] Roadster: Some alerts not showing up

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Oct 31 11:41:19 HKT 2019

> Wait, your understanding is that the 1146 is a false positive?

My understanding is that both 1144 and 1146 may false positive. Tesla classify them as DMC (debug only messages) and don’t display them on the car VDS screen (although they are stored in the logs). When looking at vehicle logs, I have seen these two errors back to the birth of the cars. Almost from when they left the factory floor.

> The folks on TMC generally conclude that the error is related to the under-spec'd connector under the PEM that drives the motor, and that the connector pins need to be replaced (both sides).

I tend to agree with the root cause, although not necessarily the suggested action. The best guess is that the car is measuring current flow through fans, and if it is too high (indicating increased resistance in the wiring/connectors, or the fans themselves), it alerts. IMHO, the issue is that the thresholds in the firmware are too aggressive.

> To be fair, I was also getting some 1116 events in the log a while ago, and they seemed to have amounted to nothing and mostly have gone away on their own.  I've also gotten a number of 104s and 3001s, which nobody seems to think are important.

Have a look at ovms_server_tr.vece in the Open-Vehicles-Server project. That contains textual messages for the error codes we know of. Tesla don’t announce on the CAN bus whether the alert is debug only, or real, and we can only use the DMC prefix we have seen to guess. The VDS firmware appears to contain a lookup table (code -> message and debug/user flag), but efforts to decode that in an automated way have failed. So, the current server logic is to not notify DMC prefixed alerts.

We don’t have 1116, 104, or 3001 in the ovms_server_tr.vece, so for those we would just notify the alert code without a message. We also cannot know if they are debug only DMC or not.

> When was the server code updated?

I think a week or so ago. The git change was October 16th (Hong Kong time).

> In my opinion, the 1144 and 1146 do need to be passed through

Quite frankly, over the years they have caused me a large support workload (with emails going back and forth, trying to explain each new case). Certainly the #1 support question for roadsters. If I had a dollar for every time a roadster owner has asked what these are and what they can do about them… Sad thing is that the only option is the spend $$$ to replace the connectors and fans, and even then that may not silence the alerts.

I did a quick check of last month’s server logs - in 20 days, the api.openvehicles.com <http://api.openvehicles.com/> server saw 2,592 of these (1144, 1146) alerts coming from about 1/4 of the Roadsters connecting in that time period.

I’ve also had some upset users. They sold the car, then the new owner sees these alerts in OVMS and complains. My response is ’the car is raising those alerts’, but I can’t easily explain why the car is not showing these debugging-only alerts on the VDS; It is only OVMS that is showing them.

Putting the alert message lookup table in the OVMS module firmware (which wasn’t possible in v2 due to size constraints) would solve this, and make it configurable on the module, but wouldn’t solve the problem for cars running older OVMS firmware. I would still get the support calls.

> Matching the limitations of the in-car VMS and decade-old diagnostic code is not high on my list of project objectives.

Actually, it is. We have gone to huge lengths (for example, matching integer only km/miles conversion algorithms) to make sure we display the same, or as close as possible, to the VDS. Otherwise, again the support call comes in “why does OVMS say 112km range, but the car says 111km?).

> If nothing else, we really should ask the Roadster community about silencing these alerts.

I am happy to revert and let these through, so long as somebody else steps forward and takes on Roadster support. I am also happy to modify the server code, and make it kludgy configurable on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis (by changing ovms_server.conf to list the exception vehicle IDs). But I would rather the default (including for those with older firmware) be to not show alerts that are not shown on the VDS.

Regards, Mark.