[Ovmsdev] Prototyping expansion board

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Apr 18 09:24:50 HKT 2019

Craig,

What is the reason to use newer/better cell modems? I presume you are talking about 4G, but given that 3G is currently well supported, and we have a 115200bps link to the modem, what is the purpose?

Our modem board design does follow SIMCOM’s recommendations for layout compatibility, and you may be able to find a 4G SIMCOM module that is a drop-in replacement for the SIM5360 we use. We did make a prototype for the 7xxx series 4G NB iot chips, but that was a different size and the layout was quite different. Perhaps the pure LTE 7100/7500/7600 would work better?

The modem board is relatively complex and tightly packed. For example, it requires it’s own power supply circuitry as it doesn’t operate from either 3.3v or 5.0v (I think it uses 3.6v, but can’t remember exactly). We don’t use BGA, but it is surface mount technology. Overall, it is probably easier to just take our schematics and board layouts and make your own.

The J1850 may be simpler. You could use one of these new prototyping boards to implement it relatively easily. You could also do it externally off the DA26 port, but the I/O is more flexible in the internal expansion area.

Regards, Mark.