[Ovmsdev] Prototyping expansion board

Craig Leres leres at xse.com
Thu Apr 18 05:03:15 HKT 2019

Both I and my friend (who has a roadster) would like to use the
newer/better cell modems. And the extra cost of the module that causes
you guys to choose not to mass produce and sell isn't a barrier for us.

If bare modem boards were available how hard would it be to populate
some with newer cell modems? If everything has exposed pins I'm sure I
could do it (I've built a few small boards of my own design and have a
stereo microscope). But if there are any BGA involved I wouldn't want to
attempt it. (Looking at the pictures on fasttech.com I don't think this
is will be a problem.)

And at some point I also want to use ovms in my J1850/Class 2 C6
Corvette. I'm very familiar with the J1850 side. But I don't know which
approach would be best: either adding a custom board internally or
making an external j1850 to can bridge (could it plug into the HUD port?)

		Craig