[Ovmsdev] IRAM usage (was Re: 3.1.006)

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Mon May 28 02:12:39 HKT 2018

After adding a missing newlib module (just code) I got this:

xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: region `iram0_0_seg' overflowed by 712 bytes

I've now done a little analysis using the idf_size.py tool, results attached.

As you can see, the esp-idf puts lots of components into IRAM, including parts of libc ("libc-psram-workaround").

Without bluetooth and with the old version it's already been using 105636 bytes IRAM, the new version had quite some growth on this (marked in red), and the
bluetooth (blue) components add another 15 KB, total is now 129880 bytes.

Effectively there is now no IRAM space left (of the linker section) after enabling bluetooth.

I guess my newlib module drew in some libc functions, as the libc segment grew beyond acceptable size.

I don't think we will be able to continue providing a single firmware covering all features. Maybe we'll need to split into a wifi and a bluetooth release, I
think those are the only optional components for us.