[Ovmsdev] Can buses stop after some time

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Wed May 23 22:29:36 HKT 2018

I am also now seeing this.

Trying out the OBD2ECU HUD cables, I was having problems getting it to work. Those HUDs try to transmit at different baud rates, to probe for what is correct, and that is causing errors at our end. Once we get those errors, seemingly we can’t recover. A ‘can can3 start active 500000’ fixes the issue and the HUD connects.

It looks something like this:

OVMS# can can3 status
CAN:       can3
Mode:      Active
Speed:     500000
Interrupts:                   1
Rx pkt:                       0
Rx err:                     105
Rx ovrflw:                    0
Tx pkt:                       0
Tx delays:                    0
Tx err:                       0
Tx ovrflw:                    0
Err flags: 0x8000

Or this:

OVMS# can can3 status
CAN:       can3
Mode:      Active
Speed:     250000
Interrupts:                 146
Rx pkt:                       0
Rx err:                     128
Rx ovrflw:                    0
Tx pkt:                       0
Tx delays:                    0
Tx err:                       0
Tx ovrflw:                    0
Err flags: 0x800b
E (713021) canlog: Error can3 intr=1 rxpkt=0 txpkt=0 errflags=0x8000 rxerr=1 txerr=0 rxovr=0 txovr=0 txdelay=0
E (713021) canlog: Error can3 intr=2 rxpkt=0 txpkt=0 errflags=0x8000 rxerr=2 txerr=0 rxovr=0 txovr=0 txdelay=0
E (713021) canlog: Error can3 intr=3 rxpkt=0 txpkt=0 errflags=0x8000 rxerr=4 txerr=0 rxovr=0 txovr=0 txdelay=0
OVMS# can can3 status
CAN:       can3
Mode:      Active
Speed:     250000
Interrupts:                3757
Rx pkt:                       1
Rx err:                     128
Rx ovrflw:                    0
Tx pkt:                       1
Tx delays:                    0
Tx err:                       0
Tx ovrflw:                    0
Err flags: 0x800b
OVMS# can can3 status
CAN:       can3
Mode:      Active
Speed:     250000
Interrupts:                3775
Rx pkt:                      10
Rx err:                     128
Rx ovrflw:                    0
Tx pkt:                      10
Tx delays:                    0
Tx err:                       0
Tx ovrflw:                    0
Err flags: 0x800b

And then the can bus dead (until ‘can start …’ to reset it).

Good news is that with those HUDs, it is very easy to recreate the fault condition. I’ll see what I can do to find out what is going on. My guess is we are not clearing the MCP2515 error condition correctly. I will try to find out what is going on...

Regards, Mark.