[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 pricing

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Mar 5 14:49:55 HKT 2018

I’m trying to get pricing for OVMS v3 down, but with the large up-front costs we’ve had to pay (injection moulding, prototypes, etc), it has been hard.

At launch, this is the best we can do:

OVMS v3.1 module: US$90
Black injection-moulded plastic enclosure
ESP32 WROVER processor (16MB flash, 4MB SPI RAM, 520KB SRAM, dual core Xtensa LX6 processor)
WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE
3x CAN buses
1x Micro USB connector (for flash download and serial console)
1x Micro SD card slot
1x Internal expansion slot
8x EGPIO, 2x GPIO
1x GSM antenna connector
1x GPS antenna connector
1x DB9 vehicle connector
1x DB26 expansion connector

OVMS v3.1 SIM5360E 3G modem module (either US or EU edition): US$60
Modem is an optional plug-in module, that can be changed in future (to allow for new technology)
3G (EV-DO/HSPA+) dual band modem
Includes 2G (GSM/GPRS) and 2.5G (EDGE) quad band
GPS/GNSS
Nano (4FF) SIM slot
HOLOGRAM.IO nano sim
US edition is SIM5360A (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 850/1900MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
EU edition is SIM5360J(E) (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 900/2100MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)

Bundle (OVMS v3.1 module + v3.1 modem): US$150
Discount: Time-limit offer of US$20 for existing OVMS v2 owners

First production batch is intended for experienced OVMS v2 users and v3 developers. General availability of the bundles should be late March 2018 at FastTech. Please note:

Firmware is not complete, and should be considered beta
Functionality is approximately equivalent to basic OVMS v2 firmware, but some advanced features (such as ACC, SMS control, etc) are not available yet
Firmware is far in advance of v2 in other aspects (such as built in web server, metrics, console, tcp/ip support, diagnostics, geofencing, scripting, etc)
Firmware can be updated either Over The Air (OTA), by Micro SD card, or over USB interface
Vehicle support currently includes:
Kia Soul EV
Nissan Leaf
Renault Twizy
Tesla Roadster

Please have a read through the above, and let me know if you see any problems. It will form the basis of an end-user announcement to go out to forums, mailing lists, and all current users.