[Ovmsdev] Problems with AP + Client mode

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 06:47:37 HKT 2018

Hi folks,

Are any of you having trouble with AP+Client mode?  A couple of
observations....

AP mode, by itself, works great.  AP+Client, however, seems to depend on
whether the client side gets connected or not.  If it does, I can also
connect to the AP, and when connected, navigate the webserver.  If the
client side doesn't get connected (the specified SSID isn't available),
my phone can connect to the AP, but accessing the webserver never works
(times out).

This is with the simcom modem unconnected (antenna removed).  I also
have the DNS server address fixed to '9.9.9.9 8.8.8.8', to remove that
from being an issue.

If I go into the webserver (when it's working) and configure the client
SSID to connect to any available, neither the client nor the AP come up
after a module reset.  This is apparently due to an error during the
Auto execution, where the 'wifi mode apclient' command is failing due to
not having the client ssid specified (it's coded as required, should be
optional).

As I noted earlier, if the module comes up and the client SSID isn't
immediately available, the ability for it to connect later is limited.
Mark suggested this is because the wifi client isn't scanning channels
other than the one the AP mode is on, so it's a matter of luck if the
client AP happens to come up on the right one.  (Here, that never seems
to occur :( ).

If the AP+Client does come up (client SSID is available), and later the
modem gets connected, connection to the v2 server hangs.  Seems like the
internal routing of traffic is getting confused, or rather, the module
is getting a new IP address, but the server's connection is not
bounced.  (Enhancement request: Have the network status command to note
which interface is considered active.)  IMHO, we really shouldn't even
try to run the modem if the server is connected via the wifi client,
because, besides messing up the network configuration, it's also causing
a slow drain on the modem's data plan (I'm seeing the Rx/Tx counters
increment) for no benefit.

Sometimes I get a spew of 'job queue overflow' errors (see below).  Not
sure of all the conditions, but tapping the Status tab seems the most
often cause, though it can be tapped without causing the error too.

Under conditions where the AP+Client had the client connected and the AP
able to associate, but not able to access the webserver, I was able to
get to the webserver if I joined the same network as the client and
surfed to the module's address there.

Lots of test cases here.  I really need a test matrix to be sure I can
reproduce the issues and successes later...  Part of the puzzle is that
the retries built into the software often recover things, so it's hard
to know what's a fatal failure, and what is recoverable in time, and so
may be less serious for the end user.

Finally, I have seen circumstances where the simcom model gets into a
state where it comes up and starts connecting, but after a few frames
(less than 10) gets stuck with an increasing number of framing errors,
but no progress on receive.  Eventually it will reset and try again, and
after some number of these, sometimes finally connect (and mess up the
wifi that was running happily all along).

Greg

I (473446) simcom: Power Cycle
I (479406) simcom: State: Enter PoweredOn state
I (498456) simcom: State: Enter MuxStart state
I (498456) gsm-mux: Start MUX
I (498466) gsm-mux: Channel #0 is open
I (498466) gsm-mux: Channel #1 is open
I (498476) gsm-mux: Channel #2 is open
I (498476) gsm-mux: Channel #3 is open
I (498486) gsm-mux: Channel #4 is open
I (499446) simcom: State: Enter NetWait state
I (503836) webserver: HTTP POST /api/execute
I (503836) webcommand: HttpCommandStream[0x3fff96c0]: 20240 bytes free,
executing: simcom status
I (509506) simcom: CREG Network Registration: RegisteredRoaming
I (510446) simcom: State: Enter NetStart state
I (511596) simcom: PPP Connection is ready to start
I (512446) simcom: State: Enter NetMode state
I (512446) gsm-ppp: Initialising...
I (512456) webserver: HTTP GET /home
I (515616) gsm-ppp: StatusCallBack: None
I (515616) gsm-ppp: status_cb: Connected
I (515616) gsm-ppp:    our_ipaddr  = 10.170.146.142
I (515616) gsm-ppp:    his_ipaddr  = 10.64.64.64
I (515616) gsm-ppp:    netmask     = 255.255.255.255
I (515616) gsm-ppp:    our6_ipaddr = ::
I (515616) netmanager: Set DNS#0 9.9.9.9
I (515616) netmanager: Set DNS#1 8.8.8.8
I (515616) time: Starting SNTP client
I (517746) webserver: HTTP GET /home
I (520476) webserver: HTTP GET /status
W (526166) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow
W (526416) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow
W (526446) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow
W (526666) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow
W (526916) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow
W (527166) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow
W (527416) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow
W (527446) websocket: WebSocketHandler[0x3fff5f2c]: job queue overflow