[Ovmsdev] 3.0.991

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Mar 5 13:52:54 HKT 2018

New version, tagged and in the repository now:

2018-03-05 MWJ  3.0.991  OTA release support OTA updates over HTTP
                         - Update ovms_module to use new API for per-task heap info.
                         - Commands "time status" and "time set" for access to real-time clock.
                         - Time zone support in config vehicle/timezone
                           See GNU LIBC documentation for details on format
                           https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html
                         - Auto start/init for wifi, modem, vehicle type, server v2 & v3
                         - Fix to SDCARD component to free SD_DATA1, SD_DATA2, and SD_DATA3
                           in 1-line mode (in particular so SD_DATA1/GPIO4 and SD_DATA3/GPIO13
                           can be used for UART to simcom modem for OVMS v3.1 hardware).
                           https://www.esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4838
                         - Record statistics for CAN bus interrupts (per controller) and show in status.
                         - Don't issue network.reconfigured event when network is down.
                         - Auto start for ext12v & obd2ecu
                         - Web config for timezone & distance units
                         - Twizy web UI for features, battery properties & charge control
                         - Support ESP IDF v3 style OTA updates over http

This version is available via OTA (for both 3.0 and 3.1), but unfortunately you’ll need this version running to be able to do an http OTA ;-) If you want to try, then first flash it (as normal), then start wifi, then do ‘ota flash http’.

Next version will be 3.0.992.

Example:

OVMS > ota flash http
Current running partition is: factory
Target partition is: ota_0
Download firmware from api.openvehicles.com/firmware/ota/v3.1/main/ovms3.bin to ota_0
Expected file size is 1970944
Preparing flash partition...
Downloading... (100208 bytes so far)
Downloading... (200216 bytes so far)
Downloading... (300324 bytes so far)
Downloading... (400744 bytes so far)
Downloading... (500752 bytes so far)
Downloading... (600960 bytes so far)
Downloading... (701068 bytes so far)
Downloading... (801388 bytes so far)
Downloading... (901396 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1001604 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1102024 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1202132 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1302140 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1402248 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1502668 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1603088 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1703296 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1803304 bytes so far)
Downloading... (1903724 bytes so far)
Setting boot partition...
OTA flash was successful
  Flashed 1970944 bytes from api.openvehicles.com/firmware/ota/v3.1/main/ovms3.bin
  Next boot will be from ‘ota_0'

OVMS > ota status
Firmware: 3.0.991-dirty/factory/main build (idf v3.1-dev-453-g0f978bcb) Mar  5 2018 13:34:10
Running partition: factory
Boot partition: ota_0

OVMS > metrics list m.ve
m.version                                3.0.991-dirty/factory/main build (idf v3.1-dev-453-g0f978bcb) Mar  5 2018 13:34:10

This is using the ESP IDF v3.x way of doing OTA binary images. The last 32 bytes of the image contains a sha256 checksum of the image (up to but not including the last 32bytes). The ESP IDF bootloader checks that.

Seems to work, but a little bit flaky. Sometimes I can’t get DNS resolution. Anyway, OTA updates are available now, and I’ll try to improve on it over the next few days.

Longer term, we want this to happen automatically, so long as module is on wifi. Perhaps once a day. We can worry about that later; for the moment, connect to the web interface then run ‘ota flash http’ from the console there.