[Ovmsdev] Nissan Leaf 2018 cable

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Mon Jun 25 17:39:33 HKT 2018

Hi Mark,

I haven't had a chance to look at a 2018 Leaf in detail. I have plugged
an OVMS into one and it didn't work.

Looking at that PDF, it would seem that Nissan have split the CAN bus
into sections, with the DATA LINK CONNECTOR (aka OBD2 port) being
connected to the bus via 6CH CAN GATEWAY. The gateway appears to be
connected to all (most?) the CAN busses on the car. The TCU and
Navigation system are on a new bus, connected only to each other and the
6CH CAN GATEWAY.

Browsing the LeafSpy support forums, it looks like the 2018 leaf doesn't
stream any data to the OBD2 port, so everything will have to be obtained
by polling. It sounds like LeafSpy does work on the 2018 leaf so it's
possible to get the data we want, but nearly everything in the OVMS's
Leaf support uses passive monitoring of data streamed out of the OBD2
port which won't work on the 2018 Leaf. I would be surprised if remote
climate control works via the OBD2 port as the gateway is unlikely to
forward a TCU message received from the OBD2 port to the correct
destination(s). Getting that to work will likely need a cable between
the OVMS's external expansion socket and the TCU's CAN bus.

I haven't checked the pinouts but I expect the Leaf specific OVMS cable
can be made to work with the 2018 Leaf, but a standard cable would work
better (connecting the only CAN bus on the OBD2 port to the fastest CAN
hardware on the OVMS). The current Leaf firmware won't work very well at
all on a 2018 Leaf, regardless of which cable you have.