[Ovmsdev] v3 hardware disconnecting from v2 server

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Jan 29 10:43:07 HKT 2018

I am just suggesting we clean up that clean-shutdown case. If the network is being shut down (either on command, or via script), we can at least do it cleanly. We do get such an indication (shutting down event, followed by wifi shutdown, followed by shut down event). We should, in general, shutdown our connection on the indication-to-shutdown event, rather than the already-shutdown event (as that at least allows some chance to inform the remote end of the issue). Perhaps the ‘wifi mode off’ command should sleep for a second or two, after issuing the indication-to-shutdown event, to increase the chance of a clean shutdown?

For the other case of connections being externally dropped, I’m trying to see how the ESP IDF v3 framework handles it. Espressif have changed things slightly, and there is now a ‘lost ip’ timer that signals the IP address being lost after a timeout; I think we can pickup on that event to shut things down. That is SYSTEM_EVENT_STA_LOST_IP, but wasn’t available in ESP IDF v2.1 (and is now available in ESP IDF v3 but we don’t use it). I am not sure how that differs from the SYSTEM_EVENT_STA_DISCONNECTED system event (which is the one we handle at the moment).

In general, I don’t think our handling of these events is optimal at the moment. We have a variety of low-level events from things like the wifi driver, and then high-level network manager events. But things like console_ssh should probably only bring up the server in the case of a wifi connection (not simcom modem ppp). I see mdns uses the low-level wifi events, but console_ssh uses the high-level network manager events (because it integrates to mongoose so can’t bring up the server until mongoose is ready to be initialised).

In the normal socket comms case, a write() on a disconnected socket will fail and indicate appropriately. But with the comms going through mongoose, I am not sure how exactly things are handled. When we mg_send() data, it is merely added to an output buffer and no socket write occurs at that time so we won’t be getting back an error indication. In fact, the prototype for mg_send is a void return:
void mg_send(struct mg_connection *, const void *buf, int len);
I assume that if mongoose calls write() on the socket, and an error indication comes back, then it closes the connection. In mg_write_to_socket(), I see that kind of logic (but haven’t traced it myself):
  if (n > 0) {
    mg_if_sent_cb(nc, n);
  } else if (n < 0 && mg_is_error(n)) {
    /* Something went wrong, drop the connection. */
    nc->flags |= MG_F_CLOSE_IMMEDIATELY;
  }
That should deliver an MG_EV_CLOSE to each of the active connections.

I’ll have to look at it in more details. Just trying to get the final testing of v3.1 hardware done first.

Regards, Mark.