[Ovmsdev] CAN BUS logging to flash storage

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Fri Jan 12 08:44:46 HKT 2018

Thanks.

I really should formally document the CRTD format properly somewhere. Anyway, here are my old notes on it, and an example:

+++++

CRTD Example:

1320724293.000 CXX OVMS Tesla Roadster cando2crtd converted log
1320724293.000 CXX OVMS Tesla roadster log: trip.20111108.csv
1320724294.072 R11 420 00 96 96
1320724294.073 R11 588 00 00 86
1320724294.073 R11 280 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00
1320724294.073 R11 001 00 00 00 00
1320724294.073 R11 590 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1320724294.113 R11 400 01 01 00 00 00 00 4C 1D

Generators should use whatever line termination the host system uses. For Unix and embedded systems that is LF. Parsers should support all CR, LF, and CRLF variants.

Generators should output hex fields in upper-case and front zero padded (for clarity). Parsers should support both upper and lower case, as well as variable length.

By convention, the .crtd extension is used for these files. It is suggested that generators prefix all crtd files with CXX lines documenting the generator, comment and source of log file.

Space-separated fields are:
Timestamp (can be seconds, milliseconds, or microseconds - zero prefixed and full length padded for ms and us).
Type:
C*: comment
CXX: general comment (rest of line is a comment)
CEV: user-generated event (rest of line is event description)
R11: rx standard frame
R29: rx extended frame
T11: tx standard frame
T29: tx extended frame

Other field notes:
For the R?? and T?? types, the rest of the line is hex ID followed by hex data bytes (up to 8).
In the case of systems supporting multiple CAN buses, the type can be prefixed with the bus number (eg; 1R11, 2T29, etc). Messages from different CAN bus captures can be written to one shared crtd file, or individual files for each bus - entirely up to the generator.

+++++

Regards, Mark.