[Ovmsdev] CAN-3 broken again?

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Fri Jan 12 02:07:14 HKT 2018

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, Michael Balzer wrote:

>   * Line 294: this should be a warning level log, also the "\n" at
>     the end isn't necessary for a log.

This should be stated more strongly: Not only is it not necessary, it should just
not be there.  It is also not optional, it won't be ignored.  It used
to cause a blank line in the output, but now it causes a '|' character
to be appended after after a change that Michael made a while back.

Michael, when I first saw that change you made to translate all \n or \r
except the last to be '|', thereby unfolding a multi-line log into one
line, I did not really like that idea but I didn't comment at the
time.  It seems to me that if the format of a multi-line log message
causes a problem then it would be best to go back to the original log
message and change it.  Perhaps you were bothered by some log message
in code that is not under our control?  Can you show some examples?

I bring this up now because that bit of code needs to move as I
implement the facility to log on all consoles, and I would like to
consider removing it.

                                                        -- Steve