[Ovmsdev] Moving to a production cycle

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Feb 22 11:22:08 HKT 2018

> OK. How about using separate branches for release and development. That way we can cherry-pick important fixes early into the release branch if necessary.

Yes, probably a good idea. I’ll do it just before the first release.

Note that we also have the menuconfig CONFIG_OVMS_VERSION_TAG (default: “main”). I plan to use that for OTA to be able to switch to different versions and different release priorities. So, we can have an OTA version X release for beta cars, and OTA version Y for everybody else.

> With automatic start of the vehicle module, wifi, modem & server connections, I think we need a rescue scheme. I.e. if the boot crashes, the reboot should automatically be done without any auto start -- otherwise the only option to get back to a working module would be to erase the config. I'll have a look at that.

When looking at the deep sleep stuff, I found there is a way to tag a global variable as ‘rtc’. That should survive a deep sleep (or reboot). For example:

https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/blob/3ede9f011b50999b0560683f9419538c066dd09e/examples/system/deep_sleep/main/deep_sleep_example_main.c <https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/blob/3ede9f011b50999b0560683f9419538c066dd09e/examples/system/deep_sleep/main/deep_sleep_example_main.c>

static RTC_DATA_ATTR struct timeval sleep_enter_time;

I did like the feature we had in v2 that recorded the number of resets, as well as the cause of the last reset. Perhaps we can do the same for v3 and store in a metric on boot?

Presumably we can set a flag during startup (in rtc ram) and clear it once the startup has been completed. Then when booting if that flag is set, don’t do this auto stuff. That should give us the rescue scheme.

I suggest to put this all in one RTC_DATA_ATTR structure in ovms.h (and ovms.cpp), then do the automation either in housekeeping or in a new ovms_auto.{h,cpp} component.

Should we create a ‘auto’ config area to store all this? Such as auto/vehicletype, etc...

> Btw, how about activating wifi AP mode as the factory default, i.e. with SSID "OVMS" and password derived from the MAC or ICCID? That way a new user can power the module on and directly connect to the OVMS AP and do the initial configuration with his/her browser.

Yes, that makes good sense. Again, it can go in ‘auto’ section, wifiap or something like that. Can default to on, and be explicitly disabled by config later.

Regarding the password, not all modules will have ICCID. The MAC address is not externally visible. Maybe just have the access point named OVMS.<last-bit-of-mac> and password OVMS? Then provide a facility in the web UI to be able to change that password?

P.S. Your work on the web UI is incredible. Really neat and powerful. Very impressed.

Regards, Mark.