[Ovmsdev] Prolonging traction battery life feature

Tom Saxton tom at idleloop.com
Fri Feb 16 11:19:59 HKT 2018

Hi Robert,

I believe most of what you want is already built into OVMS through the Advanced Charge Control feature, at least for vehicles that have implemented a charge time predictor.

In OVMS v2 this was configured via text message. For example this command:

ACC PARAMS CHARGEBY 07:00 STOPSOC 60

tells OVMS that when plugged in at the current location, it should delay charging until charging to 60% state-of-charge will be achieved around 7:00 am.

As far as I know, there isn’t currently a notion of a minimum SOC that should be achieved ASAP upon plug in. I’m not sure that’s a big deal unless you regularly plug in with SOC below 10%. For example, the Tesla Roadster has a storage mode that holds charge at around 25% for long term storage.

There is a possible downside with using OVMS to limit the state of charge. Some electric vehicles, perhaps most, perform a pack leveling operation at the end of charging. If OVMS is used to stop charging early, that pack leveling will not happen.

     Tom